DISCOVER NEW OPPORTUNITIES
Accounting ManagerMD - Rockville
We are currently seeking an Accounting Manager to join our winning team. Reporting directly to the Vice President of Accounting, this position will be primarily responsible for supervising the daily operations of the Accounting Department. The person in this role will directly supervise and coordinate the activities of the clerical accounting personnel and implements established plans, goals, and objectives. This person will also prepare financial reports, including annual plan and operating budgets, ensuring complete, accurate, and timely completion of financial and accounting records for the Credit Union.
More specifically, theAccounting Managerwill:
- Manages the monthly reconciliation process for Sales & Participations. Oversees the postings and reporting process. Coordinates with the Servicing Departments on issues. Works directly with third-party vendor to ensure timely completion of the monthly process.
- Manages the daily operations of the department. Assigns and monitors tasks of staff members, provides training, sets schedules, ensures policies and procedures are followed, and deadlines are met. Reports progress towards goal achievement to management. Makes suggestions to improve operations and procedures. Implements changes in operations, policies, and procedures as directed. Understands duties and functions of direct reports.
- Assists in performance appraisals, establishes goals and action plans, and sets up performance improvement plans and disciplinary actions. Participates in hiring and firing decisions, and recommends promotions. Approves time records and time off requests. Motivates, coaches, and mentors staff. Resolves employee conflicts, identifies problems, and gives input to management on problem resolution. Acts as a mediator between staff and management personnel.
- Assists in development of financial, statistical, and accounting records of the Credit Union. Ensures accounting functions are completed in accordance with established Credit Union procedures and generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and any other applicable regulations.
- Maintains effective communication and coordination with Credit Union personnel and with management.
- Stays informed of developments in the accounting field and of changing governmental and legal requirements.
- Works with auditors/examiners on audits, including year-end comprehensive audit.
- As directed by management and/or the SVP of Risk Management, be responsible for understanding and complying in an accurate and timely manner with all annual mandated training requirements that pertain to your position at Lafayette Federal CU including but not limited to Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering/OFAC/Cybersecurity/Diversity & Anti-Harassment/Fair Lending.
- Be responsible for understanding and complying in an accurate and timely basis with all Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering/OFAC requirements that pertain to your position at LFCU and as directed by management and/or the SVP of Risk Management.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualified candidates will have:
- A positive credit standing
- Three to eight years of similar or related experience
- A master's degree in a similar or related field, or
- A bachelor's degree in a similar or related field plus a professional certification (e.g. CPA).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to function in financial institution environment and utilize standard office equipment
- Courtesy, tact, and diplomacy are essential elements of the job. Work normally involves contacts with persons beyond immediate associates generally regarding routine matters for purposes of giving or obtaining information, which may require some discussion. Outside contacts take the form of service to the public (members or vendors) requiring ordinary courtesy in providing assistance and information. Obtaining cooperation (internally and/or externally) is an important part of the job.
- In depth knowledge of Credit Union regulations, legislation and financial reporting and data processing
- Fluency with advanced features of various software applications including proficiency with spreadsheet and database software/applications
- Keen attention to detail
- Excellent analytical skills, people skills and self-direction
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with Senior Management and/or outside regulators, investors and business partners
- Proficiency in Excel and Word required
- This position requires manual dexterity, the ability to lift files and open cabinets.
- This position requires bending, stooping or standing as necessary.
- This job operates in a clerical office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Office environment with job duties conducted via telephone, face to face meetings, and on the computer.