DISCOVER NEW OPPORTUNITIES
Texas State CounselTX - Frisco
TEXAS STATE COUNSEL
Serve as Texas State Counsel for our client, a national title and settlement services underwriter. This position is best suited for someone that is comfortable with a fast-paced environment, has exceptional time management skills, the ability to multitask and proficient computer skills. Outstanding customer service and relationship building skills are needed as well as the ability to interact comfortably with demanding clients and deadlines.
Responsible for maintaining compliance with all applicable state, federal and local regulations affecting the business; providing general advice and counsel in connection with title insurance, licensing, underwriting, title claims, and residential and commercial real estate transactions; and conducting research; drafting memoranda, policies, procedures, training materials, and similar company communications. Perform all duties in accordance with the company's policies and procedures, and all state and federal laws and regulations.
- Analyzing transactions and providing guidance for resolving title problems;
- Drafting and reviewing commitment requirements, policy exceptions, and affirmative insurance;
- Assisting in developing, formulating, and implementing company policies and guidelines relating to title insurance underwriting and related matters.
- Work closely with business unit executives in the task of overseeing and guiding the decision-making and implementation of compliance policies and advising about risk management.
- Facilitate audits by company regulators and underwriting partners.
- Negotiate, draft and revise client and vendor agreements.
- Provide general advice in connection with title claims, disputes, marketing materials, and other issues as necessary.
- Facilitate new applications and renewals of title producer/agent and other insurance-related licensing.
- Provide reports and supervision to the General Counsel and senior management on compliance issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent ability to analyze and interpret legal and statutory materials as well as state and federal regulations
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- Ability to creatively problem-solve
- Strong, effective, and efficient presentation and written skills for interactions with the General Counsel and executive/senior management
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND/OR LICENSES:
- A law degree from an accredited law school
- At least five plus (5+) years of recent experience as a lawyer in the title and settlement services industry
- In-house and law firm experience preferred.
- Experience handling title claims and working with title insurance underwriters.
- Experience reviewing and revising policies and procedures devised by the business to minimize risks and ensure compliance
- Experience working with state departments of insurance on licensing and regulatory issues
- Be admitted to practice law in Texas required